Jim Wilkes founded Wilkes & McHugh with Tim McHugh in 1985.
Under Mr. Wilkes' and Mr. McHugh's leadership, the firm has earned more than $1.5 billion in courtroom verdicts and hundreds of millions in out-of-court settlements. Wilkes & McHugh was recognized by The National Law Journal as one of the top firms in the nation for our results in court.
Mr. Wilkes is a frequent lecturer on personal injury issues and has been recognized across the country for his vocal advocacy on behalf of victims of fraud and abuse. He has repeatedly gained national and local media attention for the firm's effective representation of our clients.
- Stetson University College of Law (J.D.)
- University of South Florida (B.A.)
State Bar Admissions
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- Supreme Court of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Arkansas
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- Supreme Court of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- Supreme Court of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi
- Supreme Court of Tennessee
- Supreme Court of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
Mr. Wilkes is a member of the State Bar of Alabama, the Arkansas Bar Association, the State Bar of California, the Florida Bar, the Florida Justice Association, the Hillsborough County Bar Association, the Kentucky Bar Association, the Mississippi Bar Association, the Tennessee Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas, the American Bar Association, and the American Association for Justice.
Mr. Wilkes has a five-star AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell for high ethical standing. He has been named one of The Best Lawyers in America by Best Lawyers since 2001, and a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine since 2006. He was inducted into the Litigation Counsel of America and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
His other awards and nominations included:
- The 2006 Resident’s Rights Award from the National Citizens Coalition for Nursing Home Reform for his exceptional commitment to improving the lives of nursing home residents.
- The Florida Justice Association’s John E. Krupnick Award for Perserverence in 2005.
- The Florida Justice Association's President’s Award in 1997.
- Nomination for the prestigious National Aging and Law Award by the AARP.