Wilkes & McHugh handles a variety of class action issues

Location: Nationwide

Plaintiff: Multiple
Defendant: Multiple throughout the United States

Description: Attorneys from Wilkes & McHugh have represented or are currently representing injured persons and their families in class action cases in Florida, Kentucky, and elsewhere for a variety of legal concerns, such as misleading life insurance policies and more.

Nursing Home Abuse

Location: Hillsborough County, Florida

Plaintiff: Estate of William S. Yarawsky
Defendant: Sovereign Healthcare of Tampa, LLC, et. al.
Amount: $17.25 million verdict
Compensatory Damages: $16.25 million
Punitive Damages: $1 million
Alleged Injuries: Negligence (lethal and non-lethal), breach of fiduciary duty, violations of Florida Statutes, and wrongful death in a case where a man suffered falls and a broken neck in a Tampa nursing home

Description: William Yarawsky was admitted to Bayshore Pointe Nursing and Rehabilitation Center when his family could no longer care for him at home.

Evidence presented at trial showed the nursing home was chronically short-staffed and that employee hours were cut below what was needed to care for the residents.

Despite being at risk for falls, Mr. Yarawsky was left unattended in his wheelchair in a hallway. A state inspection of the facility as a result of a complaint from the family found that at least half of the sampled residents who were at risk for falls did not have the proper precautions in place – clear examples of doctors’ orders that were not being followed.

Mr. Yarawsky suffered numerous falls in the facility, with one resulting in lacerations to the front and back of his head requiring stitches, and another that resulted in a broken neck. He also endured numerous other injuries, many of which were unexplained, during his time at the nursing home.

On the day of his final fall, the nursing home staff did not call Mr. Yarawsky's family or his doctor; they simply returned him to his wheelchair. It wasn’t until when his wife came to visit that she noticed he was in pain. Still, the facility staff delayed sending him to the hospital for several hours. Once there, X-rays confirmed a serious spinal cord injury. He suffered for 10 days before passing away.

Disclaimer: The results described on this website do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter. A prospective client may not obtain the same or similar results as those described on this website.

Free Case Evaluation

Submit Case Online
Attorney Advertising